Specsavers is once again supporting Comic Relief and the store in North Shields are getting in on the act by selling funny frames which are sure to raise a smile.
It is the third Red Nose Day that Specsavers has supported the charity by launching the frames in store, with this year’s red glasses jester theme in keeping with the charity’s comic ethos.
Since 2015, Specsavers stores have raised £848,000 and have pledged to raise £250,000 this year in their quest to break the £1million mark.
This will be done through the sale of the Comic Relief frames which cost just £2, with 100% of the proceeds going to the charity. They will be available to buy in stores and, for the first time, the Comic Relief website.
Eddie O’Gara, store director, says: ‘Our glasses this year are fantastic and we hope everyone gets into the fundraising spirit by picking up a pair in store and help us smash our £1 million fundraising mark. We are really proud to support Comic Relief and all the good causes they fund.’
Catherine Cottrell, fundraising and partnerships executive director at Comic Relief, adds: ‘We’re so pleased Specsavers is continuing to support us for the third year. It’s great to see people having fun wearing their Comic Relief specs to help us raise much needed funds on Red Nose Day and we’re thrilled to now be offering these on our online shop too.’
Frames are available in your local Specsavers store in North Shields now ahead of Red Nose Day on Friday 15 March. Customers who would like to recycle the glasses after Red Nose Day will be able to return them to their local store and they will be sent onto a specialist recycling company. For more information visit www.specsavers.co.uk or www.comicrelief.com
– Ends –
Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Specsavers
For more information please contact Beattie Communications
T: 01798 787855
Notes to Editors
• Specsavers is a partnership of almost 2,000 locally-run businesses throughout the world -all committed to delivering high quality, affordable optical and hearing care in the communities they serve.
• Each store is part-owned and managed by its own joint venture partners who are supported by key specialists in support offices
• More than 36 million customers are registered with Specsavers and the partnership had a turnover of more than £2.2bn in 2016/17
• More than one in three people who wear glasses in the UK buy them from Specsavers
• Specsavers is a champion of the National Health Service – of its 22.2m customers in the UK, 55% are from the NHS and the company is the largest provider of free NHS digital hearing aids
• Specsavers supports several UK charities and is in partnership with RNIB for a public awareness campaign to transform the nation’s eye health.
• Specsavers runs a home-visiting service in the UK and Ireland for those who cannot get to their local store unaccompanied.
About Red Nose Day 2019
• Red Nose Day is back on Friday 15h March 2019 and this year Comic Relief is asking the nation to Come Together and make a difference to people’s lives both here in the UK and overseas.
• It’s easy to get involved and have a great time. From workplace bake sales and fancy-dress fundraising in schools, to danceathons, quizzes and sponsored challenges, put on a Red Nose and do whatever you enjoy to raise life-changing cash.
• The campaign culminates in a massive night of comedy and entertainment, live on the BBC, and all the money raised is used to improve countless lives.
• Visit comicrelief.com/rednoseday or follow @ComicRelief on social media to stay updated on the latest Red Nose Day content, news and information.
About Comic Relief
Comic Relief is a UK charity with a simple purpose – to create a just world, free from poverty. Comic Relief does this by funding and investing in amazing organisations across the UK and around the world to tackle some of the key issues of our time. Since 1985, Comic Relief has raised over £1.25 billion. That money has helped, and is helping, to improve countless lives.
For information about Comic Relief and the work it carries out, please visit www.comicrelief.com
Comic Relief, registered charity 326568 (England/Wales); SC039730 (Scotland)